Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Eye Update...

As I previously posted I went to my second/fourth opinion today. It took several hours as I had been told. There were several pictures taken and they even did a dye injection to see where the blood flow was and wasn't. No, the injection was not in my eye (thank god) it was in the arm. It only took about 15 seconds to reach my eyes, pretty cool.
The basic outcome was she agreed with the treatment, said it was the same thing she would have done. The only thing she would have done differently was having blood tests run to see if there were issues with clotting, which she believes could be the reason for the cracked vessels.
The downside is she actually confirmed my fear, there is no actual chance of repair. There were several dark spots where there was no blood flow and from what she said has been there. Said it was permanent and irreversible. She also advised in her opinion since the vision is not improved while the steroids are active it only aids in reducing the amount of swelling (blood pooling) and is causing the increase in pressure I should stop the injections. Then to just keep watching to see how the swelling does without the injections. However, I have to keep using the pressure drops and have to increase to twice a day instead of the once a day I have been doing for the past month.
The pressure was 26 today even with the use of the drops over the past month. I did, however, skip today's dosage to allow her to see everything. But in my opinion, skipping one dose shouldn't have shot the pressure up if the drops were actually working over the past month. She did say she did not see any damage from the pressure, but the injections would eventually cause damage over time.
She advised to follow up with my previous doctor and just advise I do not want the next injection. I just want to wait and watch what the eye does without it.
So quick recap, treatment is what all the other opinions would have done as well, pressure drop to be done twice a day, follow up with Sappenfield, and stop the injections to prevent the eye pressure from getting worse.
After four years of being injected in the eye in the hopes of repairing the damage it is confirmed there is no repairing the damage. I am torn between it being fortunate and unfortunate, knowing/feeling the vision is what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment