Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Kindness Surprise

The other day I was at the store doing my grocery shopping not paying much attention to much else as I walked through the store filling my cart with the items I needed. The main goal, as it always is, was to get what I needed and get out. I am not a shopper by any means. I do it because I have too. So, I finished my shopping and got into the check out line. I generally will use the self check out cause it is faster but since I had fresh veggies I didn't want to have to deal with the whole looking them up myself so I got in a regular check out lines and waited. It turned out I found myself behind a woman who had misplaced her debit card. She was so embarrassed and said to the cashier, please do what you have to do so I don't continue to hold up the people behind me. She also proceeded to apologize to me for having to wait on her. I told her not to worry about it, it happens to the best of us and wished her luck in locating her card. As I stood there with the cashier waiting for the front end supervisor to come clear the sale, I found myself asking the cashier how much the bill was and paid it. I have always believed in the mindset of paying it forward and have done it a few times. This time stands out to me more than others, not only because it just happened, but because of the reaction I witnessed from me just being who I am. The woman didn't realize what I had done for several minutes, however, the cashier was very touched and surprised by my action. She teared up but tried her best to actually hide the fact she was crying. She said she had never witnessed such kindness and my act made her day and showed her there are people out there who care. The woman who had lost her card was still frantically looking for her card, sitting a few feet away and still had not realized when I handed her, her receipt that I had paid it. I happened to look over and could see she was looking at the receipt in confusion and the moment she realized I saw her surprise. I went back over to her and told her I hoped she found her card. She looked up at me and asked, did you pay this, I simply smiled and say yes, and said all I ask is for you to show the same kindness when you have the chance and that is all the thank you I need, just pay it forward when you have the chance.
It truly is amazing to me how surprised people are when kindness is shown. It saddens me that when someone shows kindness others are so surprised by the action. To me, kindness is second nature. I am just so glad I remain who I am regardless of the negativity in the world. I refuse to give into it and let go of who I am and what I believe in. I have always tried to be the best human being I can be no matter what is happening around me. So this is the note I leave, be kind when you are given the chance and do it because it is the right thing to do. When the chance presents itself, pay it forward, the real reward is knowing you showed kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment