Sunday, May 26, 2019

Emotional Roller Coaster...

I previously started telling you about my adventure in paramotor training, what I did not mention was the emotional roller coaster. I have covered the range from emotional happiness to emotional angriness.
The night before my first flight, which is actually taxi practice my eyesight was too bad for me to participate other than to assist the others. I accepted this decision and watched as the others don'd the paramotors, attach the wings, and taxi towards our instructors. Every one of them ran into the sky while I watched from the ground.
The hardest one to watch, you would think was my son, but nope it was my husband. My heart was in my throat until he was clear of the ground kicking his legs letting us know he was okay. So in just a matter of minutes, I went from disappointment to fear to overwhelming excitement for him as well as for the others, my son, my learning partner, my father-n-law, and my son's learning partner. However, after we debriefed for the evening I felt this rush of anger at myself because I couldn't fly too.
The next day was my husbands turn to watch me leave the ground for the first time and here is where I went through my heart in my throat knowing I was about to take off and run into the sky. Unfortunately, this did not happen the first or second attempts. After the second failed attempt fear took hold and I was almost convinced I wouldn't be able to do it. I was so fortunate to have the best learning partner who got me past the fear and emotional meltdown.
I set up for the third attempt and I achieved my first successful run into the sky. I was so excited to have made it off the ground first then the scene laying out in front of me as I leveled out the wing was so breathtakingly beautiful filled me with such joy all I could do was let out a howler to let those below know I was not only good, I was over the moon. There really are no words to explain or describe the feeling being in the sky looking down over the ground and being able to see for miles with no obstructions, no noise but your own heartbeat, the wind, and the motor behind you. When I landed, not so gracefully I might add, I earned my call Happy Feet :) When I am able to upload my flight video you will see how and why I earned it.
Also while I was on my first flight I actually got to be in the air at the same time as my son and he got to watch me from the air take off. I am patiently, not, waiting for my second flight which will be tomorrow morning due to wind issues. I will explain those in the next post.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you are enjoying this experience!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so amazing and everyday brings a different set of emotions!

      Delete