Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Flavor of Home Grown

I have not only grown, harvested, and watched them change colors I have now tasted the fruits of my labor. I shared my first harvested red tomato with a friend at lunch on Sunday. She said it was really good. I tasted it myself and I have to say it was the best tasting tomato I have ever had. LOL But of course I would say so cause I worked so hard to make sure they survived.
I also did my first attempt at Fried Green Tomatoes. Now, I have to admit until I had seen the movie I had actually never even heard of Fried Green Tomatoes. With this said, I did as I was advised a little bit of salt, a little bit of pepper, and flour (all purpose). Fried them in a frying pan with oil so I could watch them. Should have left them in a little bit longer so they were tender all the way through but was worried about burning them.
I will try again but this time a little different. I was also advised to sauté them with onion. Now, for me onions are not something I like but for the sake of trying to make Fried Green Tomatoes a different way I will use a little bit of onion. This will cut back on the breading, not that the breading was so bad, it just adds to the calories.


No comments:

Post a Comment