Saturday, March 4, 2017

Snippet #7

As they sat down to eat, Cyrus looked at Dani and asked, "So, what did you do today?"
Dani had looked at her mother before she answered, "We went to the library. Momma let me get a book."
Before she could move, Cyrus reached over and slapped her, as he yelled, "Don't lie to me. What did you do today?"
Holding her cheek, she looked at her mother as tears started to build in her eyes. Christine smiled at her and nodded her head. As she turned and said, "She was telling you the truth. We went into town, and she got some books from the library.  As we drove, she did some flashcards to practice her colors and letters."
He looked to Christine as he spat, "I wasn't asking you. I was asking my daughter. You would do good to remember your place."
Christine closed her mouth and rose from her seat, looked at her daughter, nodded her head. Dani looked at Cyrus then back at her mother and stood to leave with her.
Cyrus looked at both of them and expressed, "I didn't excuse either one of you. Where do you think, you are going; we are eating dinner?"
Christine regarded him coldly as she informed, "We are finished, and it is time for Dani's bath." She looked at Dani and instructed, "Go to your room, I will be there shortly." After Dani left the room, Christine looked back at Cyrus as she announced, "This is the first and last time you will ever lay a hand on my daughter."
He slammed his hands down on the table as he reminded, "I have told you before you will not speak to me in that manner. I run this house, I make the money, and you live very well because of it. All you have to do is behave the way I require. Now sit down!"
Christine looked over her shoulder as she left and said, "I have taken my last order from you. I have sat back too long and allowed you to run me. No more!" She slammed the door behind her and went straight to Dani's room.
She knew his pattern of habit, so she waited. While Dani quietly sobbed into her lap, Christine stroked her hair and began to sing to her. She told her daughter everything would be all right and soon they would be free to live their lives.
In the pool room, Cyrus stripped his robe and dove into the deep end of the pool. He did one complete lap and was starting his second when he suddenly could not catch his breath, and a sharp pain grew in his side. He called for help, but there was no one around. His guard had stepped away. He tried to make it to the edge of the pool. His arms felt like dead weights as he began to sink under the water. He kicked with all his might, but there was no making it to the surface. All he could do was watch as the surface grew farther and farther from reach. He felt his lungs tighten trying to get air. He hit the bottom of the pool and lay there for several minutes looking up at the ceiling of the room. He saw his guard jump into the pool. As he took his last breath, he heard her voice as it said, "I warned you years ago, never to cross me!"
The guard pulled the lifeless body from the pool and yelled for help. By the time help had arrived, Cyrus was dead. The guard stood and walked to Dani's room and knocked.
Dani had fallen asleep as Christine had been singing to her.  She gently laid Dani's head on her pillow. She walked across the room to the door, opened it and stepped out into the hallway
She looked up at the guard as she asked, "Yes Jack, has my husband summoned me?"
Jack lowered his eyes and head as he announced, "I am sorry, Ma'am, but your husband is dead. He drowned in the pool tonight. I tried to save him, but I was too late."
Christine nodded as she requested, "Thank you, Jack, would you please make sure everything is taken care of? I don't want to expose Dani!"
Jack nodded as he assured, "Of course, Ma'am. I will make sure all is taken care of for you. I will have it all cleared up by morning. Is there anything else you wish for me to do?"
Christine smiled sweetly at him as she said, "Yes, get Marco here tomorrow. I will meet with him in the office."
Jack nodded as he acknowledged, "It will be done, as you have asked."
Christine thanked him, "Thank you, Jack, good night." She stepped back into her daughter's room. She closed the door behind her.

No comments:

Post a Comment