Thursday, March 16, 2017

Snippet #10

She exited the room the way she had entered, through the French doors to the patio, she looked both directions making sure no one was around on the grounds. When she was sure the grounds were clear, she headed for her car in its hiding place at the edge of the property.
As she climbed back into her car, she smiled to herself. She was pleased, the injection she gave Daniel seemed to work just like the previously ones had and since it was the last dose, it should keep him on the track she wanted him. There should be nothing to stop him from forgetting Christine completely. Now for taking Christine out of the picture on a more permanent end would have to be done differently than she had originally planned.
In her rearview mirror, she saw a shadow which appeared to be in her back seat. She turned and saw nothing, but when she looked back in the mirror, the shadow was there. She continued to look in the mirror. She spoke calmly and as clearly as she could as she asked, "Who are you and what do you want with me?"
The Shadow said nothing and disappeared. She felt a cold shiver shot up her spine. She shook it off, started the car and headed back to her apartment. She would figure out what the shadow visit was all about when she had more time. As she drove, she allowed herself to believe she would finally be with Daniel as his wife and partner.
She pulled up to her apartment, took a deep breath and let out a sigh of relief. She had made it out of the estate without anyone catching her. Now she needed to regroup and find a way to get rid of Christine once and for all. She would have to do it without Victor's help, but he had taught her many things. She had mastered them all. Surely, she could use one to get rid of Christine.
She walked up to her door and noticed it was ajar again. This was really starting to piss her off. She pulled her gun out from the small of her back as she approached the door, she heard a familiar voice coming from inside. She replaced her handgun and pushed the door open. There stood Marco in the middle of her living room on his phone.
She cut her eyes at him as she demanded, "Why are you here Marco?"
He looked over at her, smiled, and closed his phone as he replied, "Ah, here you are. I was wondering how long I would have to wait. I'm sure you got your plan back on track?"
She moved towards the kitchen, pulled her gun out, and set it on the counter. She looked back at him as she repeated, "Why are you here, Marco, and how did you find my apartment?"
He shook his head as he advised, "You really have been focusing on the wrong things if you are asking me those questions. You really should work harder at keeping an eye on your own back since there isn't anyone else doing it. Please slide your gun to the other side of the counter. So, I know you arent going to pull it? I am not the one, not on my game, Sweetheart."
She turned away from him and grabbed a glass. She moved back across the kitchen to the counter, poured herself a double shot. She tipped the glass towards him, slammed the shots, and then set the glass back on the counter. Placed her hands on the counter and leaned forward as she informed, "Marco, I have already told you my goal has nothing to do with or will ever affect you. I also made it clear I was out of the life. Cyrus is dead, and my tie to the life died with him. I owe you nothing. So, I ask you again. Why are you here in my apartment?"
Marco moved closer to the counter. He leaned in and answered, "I am here to offer you a job again. You can't just walk away cold turkey as you think. Your past will come back and the normal life you want to happen will not last once he learns who and what you really are. You have known all your life the only way out of this type of life is in a body bag."
She poured another double shot, lifted the glass and drank. She set it back on the counter as she said, "I have always kept my business life covered. There is no way he will ever find out about my past. He hasn't figured it out by now and there is no reason for him to look in the future. The only way he will ever find out is if someone tells him." She paused and cut her eyes at him as she continued, "If you have learned about me, then you know I am not someone to cross."
Marco nodded at her as he agreed, "Oh, I have learned everything about you, Shannon. However, you don't know anything about me other than I was Cyrus's business partner. I was never one of the henchmen who moved up; I have always been on the same level as Cyrus. He just always had the money to back everything. I ran the business not him. So, all in all, you worked for me. You just got your orders from him."
She started to laugh and leaned closer to him as she stated, "You really are a fool, aren't you? You think I didn't know all of Cyrus's associates? Marco, I am the reason you got in, to begin with. Cyrus didn't do anything without me checking everything out. You were only allowed to think you ran things because you were the fall guy should anything have happened. Cyrus knew how to keep his hands clean and still control everything. So, now you are going to leave my apartment and forget you ever met me."
Marco backed up a step and then crossed his arms as he commented, "Really, Shannon? There is no need to get ugly about it. I came here wanting to pick up where you and Cyrus left off. You are the best in the business, and I want you to stay on with me. The bozos I have working are nowhere close to as good as you are. I will leave but know the offer is open when you change your mind. You know where to find me." He turned and left her apartment.
She let out the breath she had been holding when she heard the door close behind him. She did not have time to worry about what Marco might do. She had to make sure she found out who had copied the files from her computer. Then she would deal with Marco. He would learn threatening her was not in his best interest. She turned and pulled out her dusting kit. She walked quickly to her computer. As she brushed the keys, there were no prints to be lifted. She glanced around her apartment, frustration set in. She could not allow anything to prevent her from being with Daniel. Whoever had come in and taken copies of her files was a professional. They were in and out and left nothing behind. This was not a good thing for her. There were only a few who she knew were this good.

No comments:

Post a Comment