Monday, June 18, 2018

This weeks letter "T"


Topic: Title

Choosing a title for a book for me comes from the story. I don't have a title in mind when I start writing. As I write the story tells me the title of the story. The series title came to me at first as the title of just the book I was currently writing. However, the more I wrote the clearer it got to me the title came to me with the purpose of telling me it was a series title, not a single book title.
When I tried my hand at the mystery thriller genre it took me much longer to come up with the title. I had the story completed before I even had a clue to the title. It was still the story itself which gave me the title. 
To me, the job of the title is an insight into what the story is about. To give the reader a piece of the puzzle to solve the mystery within the pages. Every chapter another piece. So, by the end of the book, you either know or think you know what is coming. If the pieces are placed just right you will have a general idea of what is going to happen but the end will still be a surprise.
So, the next time you pick up a book think about what piece of the puzzle the title is giving you and see when you reach the end if all your pieces fit the way you thought they would.
Every word in a book is like a step you take in your life. Be the author of your own life; take the steps to lead you to the destination of your choosing.

No comments:

Post a Comment